Pregnant women and new mothers are always worried staying the fat and loose bodies that they have gained during pregnancy. The biggest concern is that they will stay that way and not be able to look as great as they were before. However, this is an unfounded fear. After pregnancy, your body will slowly go back to its previous state, but only if you treat it right.
Set Your Goals
Before you set out to lose fat and get into shape, you need some numbers. Find out:
- Your current weight
- Your goal weight
- Your ideal body composition
- What size you want to be
Once you have your goals in place, you can set out making plans to getting fit again. Here are your guidelines:
- Have a goal to lose about 1 pound a week
- Calculate how many weeks it would take to reach that goal
- Choose a workout program for that many weeks
What to Eat
About 90% of your weight loss is determined by what and how much you eat. Exercise is important, but your body burns 10 times more energy for its daily internal functions than 30 minutes of exercise. Here are some Slimming Today tips that will help you lose weight without starving you:
- Choose high protein foods in each meal
- Eat frequently or 3 times a day, but be consistent with the plan
- Don’t go for low fat food. Whole milk will not make you gain weight. In fact it will help you lose weight faster by filling you more and making you eat less
- Avoid sugar as in coffee, chocolates and candy. Sugar increases insulin levels in your blood and turns your food into fat deposits
- Try to eat at the same time every day
Most people think that eating food with more fat will make them fatter. However, the fat in your food and the one in your body are two different things and they work very differently, which is why people get confused.
Exercise definitely has a place in a weight loss program. Here are a few tips that might help you:
- If you do cardio try HIIT which is about 15-45 minutes of intense exercise. Do this 3 times a week
- Don’t be afraid to lift weights. It will not make you bulk up because women cannot naturally grow big muscles
- Lifting weights will preserve muscle and instead stimulate fat loss, so you will be in great shape by the end of your program
You do not need to be exercising vigorously for 6 days a week for month on end to lose weight after a pregnancy. A well planned routine that has you working out 3-4 days a week will work just as well.
Most importantly, it is important that you do not rush your weight loss. Take a few months. Do not skimp on food as you have to eat for yourself and for your child. You will go back to your great figure in time, but you need to have patience, eat well and exercise consistently to reach that goal.